If your child is eligible for special education, all the rights and protections of special education continue to be available to you and your child:
- You have the right to consent before certain evaluations or placements
- You have the right to file a complaint or request a due process hearing
- You have a right to an independent educational evaluation if you disagree with the school’s evaluation
- You have the right to inspect and review your child’s education records
- You have the right to notice before a child’s educational service begins or changes
- You have the right to participate in the preparation of your child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP)
If you think that your child may be eligible for special education, contact the principal of your child’s school. The principal will guide you through the process to determine your child’s needs.