The mission of the General Properties department is to provide timely and cost effective maintenance on the buildings and properties which are owned and operated by Franklin County. We take pride in our facilities, placing emphasis on public and employee safety. Our goal is to work as closely as possible with other county departments in matters involving improvements and maintenance to ultimately benefit the taxpayers of Franklin County.
Daily Operations include:
- Building maintenance and improvements
- Removing discarded equipment
- Assisting employees/department heads in the needs for each department, such as:
- Door locks changed
- Having equipment repaired
- Heating and air conditioning repaired or replaced
- Lighting replaced
- Plumbing repaired
- Repaired or moved
- Repaired or re-keyed
- Daily custodial services
- Determine when potential costs may be prohibitive and when recommendations for replacement should be made
- Engineering support and managing new construction of building projects
- Mowing or snow removal according to season of various county owned/operated buildings
Safety & Security
Co-ordinate routine inspections of elevators, fire extinguishers/systems, alarm systems, MSDS manuals etc. Perform periodic maintenance on equipment, fixtures, and grounds. Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulations.
Responsible for properties declared surplus and in charge of seeing that said properties are sold at public auction or otherwise properly disposed of.
Responsible for having street signs made and then having a crew go out to install/replace signs. Includes taking calls from citizens, police officers, etc, If you have a "county" street sign down or have a concern about street signs, please email Mike Thurman or call at 540-483-3087.
Ensuring that vehicles and equipment with the County’s fleet are always operational and well-maintained by providing an efficient, thorough, and effective maintenance and repair program; managing all county owned vehicle acquisitions and disposition thereof.
Customer Service Mission Statement
Working with a customer first attitude, our employees will strive to be recognized as the best providers of facilities services by providing efficient and timely responses to maintenance issues affecting internal and external customers.